Joyelf Memory Foam Pet Bed
About: The Joyelf Memory Foam Pet Bed is an affordable bolster bed that features curved bolsters and a memory foam base for your sleepy pups comfort. And as a nifty bonus, youll receive a nice squeaky toy with your purchase.
Most Affordable Memory Foam Bolster Bed
This is a sponsored placement, in which an advertiser pays a fee to be featured in this article. Learn more
Situations That Warrant A Summer Bed
Unless you are specifically trying to provide your dog with a warm place to sleep, you can use a summer-style bed in just about any situation. Many will even offer additional benefits, such as taking the pressure off your dogs joints or reducing inflammation .
However, cool beds are especially helpful in the following situations and scenarios:
Keeping Your Dog Warm
Unless your dog is a cold-weather breed, he is going to feel the cold. Obviously, he cannot explain this to you, and what you think is a pleasant walk in the chilly air and snow is going to be sheer hell for your dog.
Now I hate when city folks dress their dogs up in cute little outfits. That is just not my style I think its silly.
But putting a warm coat on a dog is a sensible thing to do. Its not cute its practical. Remember, most dogs are no more suited to snow and icy weather than we are. They do and will feel the cold.
Recommended Reading: Foot Cure Nail Fungus Treatment
Does Your Dog Really Need Their Own Bed
Dog beds arent technically crucial for the health of most dogs, but they give dogs a comfortable and safe place to rest thats entirely their own. Experts told us a dog bed doesnt have to be a large investment when it comes to puppies and healthy dogs usually, any dog bed from your local store will be a good fit, according to Dr. Joe Wakshlag, professor of clinical nutrition and sports medicine and rehabilitation at Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine.
Dog beds do have the benefit of giving a dog their own personal space where they feel safe and secure this can help with anxiety, especially if a dog needs to travel their bed can travel with them to provide comfort and familiarity, said Dr. Gabrielle Fadl, director of primary care at Bond Vet.
Your dogs bed can stand on its own on the floor, sit in an open crate or be placed in any other location where they feel sheltered and safe. In a home, it is also a safe space, like a base when you played tag as children if you were on base, no one could get you, explained Dr. Sarah Hoggan, medical director for VCA California Veterinary Specialists Murrieta. This allows the dog an accepted location to keep their toys, eat a cookie or have a time out and talk to the family if theyre tired and dont want to play, they can go to bed and lie down their family their desire to rest, she added. Theyll also go to their bed when they feel overwhelmed especially by houseguests, children or exuberant adults.
Best Dog Beds To Shop In 2022
Below, we compiled expert-recommended and Select staff favorite dog beds that can fit a variety of needs and preferences. Each of the following beds has a removable washable cover based on our experts guidance and, unless otherwise noted, comes in multiple sizes to ensure your dog is able to fit in their bed comfortably.
Don’t Miss: Treating Blood Blister On Foot
Is It Good For My Dog To Sleep At The End Of The Bed
Let me ask you these quick questions: Is it bad to be protected by your dog?
Is it abnormal to command respect from your pooch or is it good to be uncomfortable in your own house?
If your answer to these questions is no, then, your dog is doing the right thing and he must be rewarded.
In a nutshell, your dog is absolutely the best pooch in the world if he is sleeping at the feet of the bed because he is doing what is expected from every well-trained dog.
However, you must ensure that he is healthy and active to be sure he is not suffering from an undiscovered illness.
He Is Expressing Its Affection Towards You
Dogs are one of the loveliest animals you can ever come across in the world. They are so passionate about their owners and can do everything to protect them from dangers.
They are not just pets, dogs are known as mans best friend because of their desire to share your pain in time of tribulations.
They love to have a huge intimacy with their owners in order to be able to understand their mood and attitude.
This is why your dog always wants to be where you are – in the car, on the bed, playground, etc. He often prefers to sleep next to you in the bedroom even if it means to stay at the foot of your bed – thats a pure and genuine love if you ask me.
Additional Ways To Keep Your Canine Cool: Solutions For Sweltering Summers
Keeping your canine cool throughout the summer months is essential and this includes those times hes chillin on his bed as well as throughout the rest of the day and night. But cooling dog beds are the only way to do so.
Here are a couple of ways to help your best buddy beat the heat.
- Keep water close. Your dog should always have access to fresh, cool water around the house.
- Stay out of direct sunlight. Your dogs bed should be positioned out of direct sunlight and in a well-ventilated area. If possible, choose a room with hardwood or tile flooring that will help keep him extra cool.
- Find some frozen treats and toys. Frozen dog treats and frozen toys can be a super fun way to keep your pooch cool while hes having fun or relaxing.
- Layer the bed with cooling dog pads. If your canine has a particularly fluffy coat or just likes staying cool during the summer, you can use a cooling pad layer on top of his bed. These pads help absorb heat helping your hound stay comfortable throughout the warm summer months.
Do you provide your dog with a summer bed? Have you found one you likes? Tell us all about it in the comments below.
Like it? Share it!
He Wants Your Protection
Dogs who are wary of their surroundings will often want to stay close to their pack leader as they believe that their Alpha will keep them from any threat.
That is why you will find your dog sleeping better when he is with you. He knows that he will be safe from any dangers in the room and can let off his guard.
You can know if your dog is wary of his surroundings through his behavior. If he has a tendency to sleep in the corner or hide under a table when you are not with him, that is an indication of his fear.
If your dog is showing fearful behavior, it is best to give him a safe environment that will make him feel more at ease.
One of the ways is to make him see the crate as a personal, secure and safe place that he can go to anytime when he feels uncomfortable through crate training.
Recommended Reading: Frigidaire 13 Cubic Foot Upright Freezer
Should Dogs Be Allowed Onto The Bed
A healthy and happy dog can sleep on your bed. In fact, over 50% of dog owners allow their dog to sleep in their bedroom.
There are arguments in both directions about whether dogs should be allowed onto the bed.
The best arguments why you shouldnt allow a dog to sleep in your bed are
- Allergy suffers should reduce contact during times it is not necessary
- Dogs can disrupt sleep, which can impact on our health. Deep sleep is vitally important to overall healthy
- Crate training as a puppy and in older life can actually prevent and fix behavioural issues
- If your dog has inappropriate thoughts that it is the leader of the pack, sleeping where you sleep is not helpful
- Dog to human transmission of diseases and illness is rare, but possible
Counterpoints and great reasons why dogs should be allowed onto the bed are
- A study by the Mayo clinic found no major difference in quality of sleep for those who lets dog sleep in their bed
- You can closely monitor for any problematic behaviours
- Dogs enjoy it, it can make them happy to be close to you
- Some people feel more secure when their dog sleeps near them
In fact a study out of Canisius College in Buffalo NY found that women who slept with dogs reported sleeping more soundly and feeling more secure. This survey was 962 women, and they felt more secure than those who slept with a human .
Why Does My Dog Sleep On My Side Of The Bed
Some dogs have a super-strong preference for one side of the bed. For couples, it creates the question Why does the dog always sleep on my side of the bed!
There are a few reasons that your dog might choose your side of the bed over your partners.
- It could be that the dog respects the other person so much that they would never take their spot
- It can also be that the spot has features that makes it more appealing to the dog than anywhere else
- Close to the door to monitor threats and your movements
- Warmer or cozier for some reason
The answer for why a dog sleeps on your side of the bed is really complicated and comes down to your individual dog. Hopefully the list above gives you some ammunition for a lively discussion with your partner!
For people who sleep alone it is a little simpler. It is most likely a combination of your scent and good positioning to protect you. Both positives, a lovely sign of love from your dog.
Read Also: Orthopedic Doctors In Greensboro Nc
How To Find The Right Bed Size For Your Dog
Finding the perfect bed size is key for keeping your canine comfortable. We have a comprehensive dog bed sizing guide you can check out, but you can start by taking these tips into consideration while shopping for cooling dog beds:
- Consider your dogs preferred sleeping position. Different dogs have different needs. Does your dog like a bolster for his head? Or does he prefer to be curled up and cozy? Will your dog rest easy on a flat surface or a more cushy one? While general sizing guides are helpful, youll want to consider your hounds unique sleeping habits.
- Size up instead of sizing down. When picking out the right bed size for your dog, focus on your dogs snout-to-tail-base length. Your dogs bed should be at least as long as his body, but when in doubt, opt for the larger size to give your pooch some wiggle room.
- Consult the manufacturers recommendations. Have your mutts measurements at the ready before picking out a dog bed. Each manufacturer will have different sizing parameters so be sure to consult individual guides before making your final purchasing decision.
Original Calming Donut Dog Bed Pros
- The donut shape and raised border encourage burrowing and makes dogs feel safe.
- Super soft filling is ideal for cuddling up on, and extra nice for dogs with arthritis and hip problems.
- Airloft fibers dont clump over time and provide extra support.
- This dog bed is machine washable. The smallest size can go right in the wash, the larger sizes have removable, washable shells.
- Faux shag fur holds warmth and is meant to mimic a mothers coat. Aww!
- Fits all breeds the bed is available in four sizes from small to extra-large .
- Water and dirt-resistant bottom stop any messes from reaching your floors.
- Filled with non-toxic pet-safe materials. No flame retardants or formaldehyde.
- Ships from Los Angeles, and theres a responsive customer service team on hand.
- Prices range from $32 to $110thats an affordable price point for a premium pet bed .
- Cats like it too!
You May Like: Orthopedic Urgent Care Charlotte Nc
Serta Orthopedic Quilted Couch
About: The Serta Orthopedic Quilted Couch is a mid-priced bolster dog bed that makes it easy for dogs to climb in. This makes it perfect for skittish doggos, who may be put off by beds featuring wraparound bolsters.
Best Easy-Entry Bolster Bed
This is a sponsored placement, in which an advertiser pays a fee to be featured in this article. Learn more
Washing The Calming Donut Dog Bed
It didnt take long before Louie got sick in his Calming Donut dog bed. Poor guy! But, it gave me a chance to test out how the bed holds up to washing. I spot cleaned the mess with a paper towel to pick up any chunks and then just tossed the entire dog bed in the washing machine with my regular laundry detergent on the cold cycle. The stains came right out, and I put the bed in the dryer on the low cycle. It completely dried in about 30 minutes. The shape stayed and the fluffiness was refreshed. Dont let the dog bed air dry, it will mat the shag.
Read Also: How To Wrap An Ankle
Long Term Test Update
After using the Topology dog bed for over a year, we’re suitably impressed by how it’s held up to daily wear and tear.
As you can see, aside from a few marks made by dirty paws and a couple of tiny material plucks caused by nails in need of trimming, it still looks pretty good.
In fact, I think looking back at the original photos, the material on the bed base was still quite creased and arguably it looks better now.
So in terms of durability, we can definitely give the Topology dog bed the thumbs up.
You might be interested in …..
During those hot, summer months, why not add a cooling mat to your dog bed. Omlet use a premium memory foam to ensure not only a cool but also a comfortable place for your dog to settle. Available in 3 sizes in grey & cream
Is The Casper Dog Bed Worth It
The Casper Dog Bed is a premium dog bed we recommend. This memory-foam bed is comfortable and retains its shape well, making it great for older dogs, dogs with arthritis, and spoiled dogs alike. Its easy to reassemble after washing, and its made of high-quality materials that look and feel great. It also has a 30-day trial period, so you can return the bed if your dog doesnt like it. The Casper model is sold in three sizes to accommodate pups weighing from 30 to 90 pounds.
Also Check: How Much Money Do Orthopedic Surgeons Make
Best Dog Beds In 2022 According To Experts
If you have a dog, you might be tempted to let them sleep in the bed with you. Many people report that sleeping with their pet in the room is unobtrusive or even beneficial to their sleep, and a 2017 Mayo Clinic study found that peoples sleep quality actually increased when their dog was in the bedroom however, that sleep efficiency decreased when people moved their dog from the floor to the bed, the report says. If you want to let your dog stay in your room, a dog bed can be a great investment to ensure you and your dog are both getting a good nights sleep. And unlike other dog essentials like food, treats and toys, a dog bed can last for several years .
If you’re looking to give your dog a sleeping surface where they feel comfortable and relaxed, we spoke to experts about what to consider when shopping for a dog bed and pulled together some highly rated and expert-recommended options to consider.
Can Dogs Get Hypothermia
Dogs can get hypothermia on a camping trip. Hypothermia is the result of abnormally low body temperature. The hypothermia may range from a mild case to much more dangerous.
The average body temperature for a dog is somewhere between 38.3°C and 39.2°C. This is higher than the human body temperature.
This is an indication that your dog should maintain HIGHER temperatures than humans. From this, we see that if you are feeling cold, then so is your dog.
You May Like: Stress Fracture In Foot Treatment
Pet Artist Dog Winter Coat Hoodie Snowsuit Apparel With Leash Hole
You may have a smaller dog that cannot utilize the dog backpack I just reviewed. In this case, keeping to dog warm can be done with a simple coat.
Your dog will be kept warm with this coat and will also benefit from being more evident to hunters out in the wild.
The coat is waterproof, windproof, and snow proof. The coat is a practical piece of kit, and although it looks good, the looks are not the point.
The nylon outer layer and the inner cotton layer will ensure that your puppy is kept warm. The hood is especially useful when temperatures drop but can also be stored away.
The coat has been made for a leash seen by the hole built for the leash to pass through.